Remember African and Indigenous resistance!
This daring Seminole story begins around the time of the American Revolution when 55 “Founding Fathers” broke free of British colonialism and wrote the immortal Declaration of Independence. About the same time, Seminoles—suffering ethnic persecution under Creek rule in Alabama and Georgia—fled south to seek independence. Africans who had earlier escaped bondage and became among its first explorers welcomed them to Florida.
The Africans did more than offer Seminole families a haven. They taught them methods of rice cultivation they had learned in Senegambia and Sierra Leone, Africa. Then the two peoples of color forged a prosperous multicultural nation and a military alliance ready to withstand the European invaders and slave catchers. The Seminoles were led by such skilled military figures and diplomats as Osceola, Wild Cat, and John Horse.
This alliance drove U.S. slaveholders to sputtering fury. They saw Seminole unity, prosperity, and guns as a lethal threat to their plantation system. Here was a beacon that enticed escapees and offered them a military base of operations. Further, these peaceful communities destroyed the slaveholder myth that Africans required white control.
Is Detroit the canary in the coal mine for the 99 percent?
Oyate Wahacanka Woecun "This is a spirit camp" planning session. There are many camps, this first camp is a spirit camp. There is no need for military clothing at a spiritual camp. There is a time for that. That time is not here yet. Please respect the intent of the spiritual leaders as we come together as spiritual warriors first on this camp planning session!" #IDLENOMORE - NO MEANS #NOKXL - The #BlackSnake will NOT pass through Lakota Lands.Want to help support our cause? We will be planning some big events in the coming weeks. We welcome the prayer support of everyone. We also welcome you to come Stand the Line when the time comes. For those who wish to add financial support we have an Official Page for Oyate Wahacanka Woecun, authorized by the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. The funds will go directly into our effort to establish and maintain a lengthy Spiritual Camp along the pipeline. We plan to be there for the long haul. As long as it takes, we will Stand the Line! We welcome any support that you can offer.Shield The PeopleCan a Tipi Stop a Pipeline?————————————————-Keystone Tar Sands / XL Pipeline. Nearly everyone is familiar with these words and most have at least some opinion about what they represent. Those who are willing to sacrifice the very things…
Israeli settlers - who live illegally on Palestinian land and shouldn’t be there in the first place - regularly destroy and uproot olive trees belonging to Palestinians, often striking at night to go unnoticed.
Olive trees are a livelihood for many families, and a key component of the Palestinian economy. That’s how they are meant to survive.
I saved the worst for last. Israeli soldiers escort Israeli settlers to attack Palestinians then stand by and watch, if not join in too.
GIFs from 5 Broken Cameras (2011)
Exclusive: Freed Ex-Black Panther Marshall “Eddie” Conway on 44 Yrs in Prison, FBI Surveillance 1/2
Published on Mar 5, 2014
In a Democracy Now! exclusive, former Black Panther Party leader Marshall “Eddie” Conway joins us less than 24 hours after his release from nearly 44 years in prison. Supporters describe Conway as one of the country’s longest-held political prisoners. He was convicted of killing a Baltimore police officer in 1970, for which he has always maintained his innocence. The shooting occurred at a time when federal and local authorities were infiltrating and disrupting the Black Panthers and other activist groups. At the time of the shooting, the FBI was also monitoring Conway’s actions as part of its counter-intelligence program, COINTELPRO. Numerous groups have campaigned for years calling for his release, saying he never received a fair trial and was convicted largely on the basis of testimony from a jailhouse informant. Politically active in prison, Conway founded “Friend of a Friend,” a group that helps young men, often gang members, resolve conflicts, and published a memoir, “Marshall Law: The Life & Times of a Baltimore Black Panther.” In his first interview since being released, Marshall details his time behind bars and the government surveillance he faced as a prominent Black Panther.
Contractor for Israel’s apartheid wall wins US border contract
March 6, 2014
One of the two lead contractors for Israel’s apartheid wall in the occupied West Bank, Elbit Systems, has won a $145 million contract from the US Department of Homeland Security(DHS) to provide similar systems on the Mexico-US border.
This is the second time Elbit, which tests its technology on Palestinians living under Israeli military occupation, has won a major US border surveillance contract.
SBInet was to provide surveillance and communications technology to increase the US presence on the Mexico-US border. Elbit was subcontracted by Boeing through Kollsman, one of Elbit’s US-based subsidiaries, to provide the project’s camera and radar systems.
Work on the contract halted in 2008 and DHS officially canceled SBInet in January, 2011.
Dividing indigenous land
The new DHS contract calls for “Integrated Fixed Tower systems” that will “assist [Border Patrol] agents in detecting, tracking, identifying and classifying items of interest” along the border. This contract largely reprises Elbit’s role in the Boeing contract. Initial installations will be in Arizona.
Both the US and Israeli projects affirm settler-state partitions of indigenous land: Palestinian land in the Israeli case and Tohono O’odham land in Arizona.
The Tohono O’odham Nation is just one of several indigenous nations facing further partition because of US and Mexican border policies.
And both projects intend to stop the movement of persons under the guise of “security.”
Tested on Palestinians
Elbit tests its technology in Palestine so deployment in an analogous circumstance for the US is unsurprising.
The Elbit Systems of America 2012 promotional video above, for instance, boasts of “Proven Technology, Proven Security” and “10+ years securing the world’s most challenging borders.” Israel began building its apartheid wall in the early 2000s and the structure was declared to be illegal by the International Court of Justice in 2004.
The video also says Elbit’s technology has been “operationally tested on the US Southwest Border.”
The video shows maps of Arizona and images of human walking through landscape, on military-style displays.
The Arizona border was also the site of a 2004 contract where Elbit provided Hermes 450 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) — commonly known as drones — to the Border Patrol in the first significant deployment of UAVs for US border surveillance.
In addition to the US settler state furthering the partition of indigenous land, the DHS contract also affirms anti-Latin@ racism in the relations between the US and Mexico, and is just one example where Elbit and other Israeli firms play roles in “securing” wealthier European borders against migrants from poorer Black and Brown nations.
The new Egyptian government is going to isolate Gaza exactly like Israel does. In the meantime, Egyptian authorities in Cairo airport are preventing by force 70 American and European activists from travelling towards Rafah crossing to enter the Gaza Strip.
Promises (2001) / Faris Odeh was shot to death by an Israeli soldier on November 9, 2000 in Gaza during the Second Intifada as he crouched down to pick up another stone.
Walaykum as salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu! Alhamdulilah I’m well I hope you are too?
What I’m going to do for you, anon, in light of you asking so nice, is write up a masterlist of stuff to do with Palestine and Israel. I’ve been meaning to do something like this for a while, so thanks for the impetus!
- The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine — Illan Pappe
- Peace Not Apartheid — Jimmy Carter
- The Question of Palestine — Edward Said
- The Gun & The Olive Branch — David Hirst
- Disappearing Palestine — Jonathon Cook
- Imperial Israel — Michael Palumbo
- The Politics of Dispossesion — Edward Said
- Gaza In Crisis — Noam Chomsky & Illan Pappe
- The Fateful Triangle — Noam Chomsky
- The Israel Lobby & US Foreign Policy — John Mearsheimer
- Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions — Omar Barghouti
(I’ve left out, purposefully, opponents of the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions Movement (BDS Movement) like Finkelstein and the New Historians of Israel (except Pappe). I’ve included two books by Chomsky (an opponent of BDS and liberal Zionist) because they are really valuable sources.)
- Palestine Is Still The Issue
- Occupation 101
- 5 Broken Cameras
- Children of Gaza
- Louis Theroux On Ultra-Zionists
- Inside Britain’s Israel Lobby
- The Gatekeepers
- Tears of Gaza
- Peace, Propaganda & The Promised Land
- The Israel Lobby
- Electronic Intifada
- Palestine Solidarity Campaign
- I Stand With Palestine
- Informed Consent
- International Middle East Media Centre
- St Pete For Peace
- Gaza Solidarity
- Palestinian Centre For Human Rights
- UN Resolutions Concerning Israel
- A list of national and international law offences committed by Israeli state and Israeli individuals.
- International legal opinions on Israeli policies and happenings
- US vetos of action against Israel
- International law and Israel-Palestine
- A list of UN resolutions regarding Israel
- Another list of UN resolutions
- The illegal acquisition of land: An international legal analysis
- Israeli violations of international human rights laws
- A list of UN resolution violations
- Pro-Israel lobby in the UK
- UK Conservative party bankrolled by Israeli lobbyists
- Friends of Israel groups lobby UK political parties
- UK Zionist lobbys
- The Israel Lobby & US Foreign Policy
Palestinians in the Knesset (Israeli parliament)
- Israeli apartheid doesn’t stop at the West Bank
- Silencing Dissent: Violation of Political Rights of Arab Political Parties
- Knesset bans main Arab political parties
- The vision of an Arab-free Knesset
- Knesset panel recommends revoking Arab politician’s privileges
- Knesset conduct prohibits Palestinian representation
- Israeli MK proposes anti-Palestinian legislation in US Congress
- Discrimination against the Arab citizens of Israel
- Demoting Arabic in the Knesset
Privileged Social Security & Welfare
- Benefit subsidies and grants for international Jews, but not Israeli Arabs
- Disproportionate allocation of welfare to Jews, despite Arabs in Israel being in general poorer
- No tax breaks for poor Arabs
The Demographic Threat
- Israeli government policy to strategically reduce Arab citizens of Israel.
- Israeli Housing Minister: “Spread of Arab population must be stopped!”
- Costs and subsidies, not ideology, facilitates Jews to go to Israel.
- The Zionist dream to extinguish the Palestinians since Day 1
- Ethnic cleansing and displacement: Israeli violations of international law
- Segregated buses for Arab Israelis
- Identification: ID system for segregating Palestinians
- Segregated roads in Israel and West Bank
"Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East!"
- It’s not… but so what if it was?
- Israeli democracy in pictures
- An island of freedom.. really?: Israeli democracy
- Israel: A democracy or ethnocracy?
"The Israeli Defence Force is the most moral army in the world!"
- Israeli Defence Force White Phosphorous Use
- Israeli Defence Force confessions of human rights violations.
- IDF Poison Gas Attacks
- War of Gaza 2012 Timeline
- Israel’s Nuclear Capability
- Israel’s chemical weapons
- Israel’s armed with nuclear capabilities
- Human shield use was not only legal, but encouraged in IDF policy and commandments.
- IDF use children as human shields
- IDF use Palestinian children to open suspicious packages
- More children shield use by IDF
- Even more children used as shields
- And again…
- And again…
- IDF Generals command human shield use
- Israeli Defence Force’s use of torture
- Rocket attacks stats: Israel drops more bombs.
- If a rocket from Gaza falls in the middle of the desert, does it make a sound?
- Hamas rockets: pretty crap really…
- Hamas rockets v Israeli rockets
- 90% of rockets are intercepted
- Drones over Gaza: Searching for dignity
This list is not exhaustive. There are far too many sources to cite for violations of prisoners rights, house demolitions, illegal settlements, the blockade of Gaza, a history of apartheid Israeli policy.
Maybe one day I’ll expand this some more. This is a fraction of the sources I’ve collected over the past 3/4 years alone… now imagine, the subjugation and ethnic cleansing is roughly 100 years old.
The Rise And Fall Of The IWW - Sharon Smith
Uploaded on Jul 27, 2010
The Rise And Fall Of The IWW - Sharon Smith Filmed at Socialism 2010 in Chicago By Paul Hubbard