ARREST GEORGE ZIMMERMAN!
Jobs Not Jails ► Wear Your Hoodies
Stop Wall Street’s War on Women
& Our Communities!
MEDIA ADVISORY March 30, 2012
Contact: Monica Moorehead 646-823-5875 / firstname.lastname@example.org
A rally and march on Sat., March 31 to “Stop Wall St.’s War on Women” will begin at 12 noon at ‘The Bull’ on Wall St. near Bowling Green. The march will step off at 1 p.m. and then precede to City Hall, 26 Federal Plaza, One Police Plaza and the Tweed Education building.
Monica Moorehead, a March 31st organizer, states,“Sybrina Fulton, the mother of Trayvon Martin, has told the world that her son is everybody’s son. It is in this spirit that our coalition encourages all mothers, grandmothers, daughters, sisters, aunts, cousins, nieces, girlfriends and spouses of all ages, nationalities, gender expressions and sexual preferences to attend along with men.”
“Martin’s death understandably has many parents and relatives worried whether their loved one will see their 18th birthday if they wear a hoodie or carry a drink or bag of candy especially if they are Black or Latino.”
A major focus of this protest will be on the violence and repression that women, their families and communities face on a daily basis.
- Shaima Alawadia, an Iraqi mother living in California, was recently found beaten to death in her home, a victim of anti-Muslim racism. No one has been arrested for this horrific crime.
- Cece McDonald, an African-American transgender woman, is facing a murder charge for rightfully defending herself against a racist, anti-trans attack by three white men.
- Hana Shalabi, a Palestinian on a hunger strike in an Israeli prison along with the cases of two other political prisoners, Lynne Stewart and Dr. Aafia Siddiqui, will be discussed at the March 31 rally.
The March 31 organizers are encouraging women and men to wear hoodies on Saturday in solidarity with all these victims including Ramarley Graham, Sean Bell and others killed by police.
“Wall Street’s war on women is a war on everyone because it is their crisis that is taking away jobs, housing, healthcare, education, reproductive justice and more,”Moorehead said. “Wall Street banks and investors need war, immigrant bashing, incarceration, police repression, a polluted environment and unemployment to secure their profits.”
“Our signs, our voices, our fists and our feet will send a powerful message that women will continue to take the lead in a united struggle for the right to all human needs, not the interests of the greedy 1%.”
Saturday’s demonstration is being organized by the International Working Women’s Coalition 2012. In solidarity with International Working Women’s Day, the protest will help to launch a “Can We Live” campaign, a ten-point program to help serve as a catalyst for building a women’s movement to unite all the struggles for an independent fightback.
- thethoughtsofanoptimista likes this
- ausetkmt reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- kittenliberation reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- cultureofresistance reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- misswinthrop reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- margarita-cansino likes this
- dreams-from-my-father likes this
- throughatintedview reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- foxwolf333 reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism
- foxwolf333 likes this
- fuckyeahmarxismleninism posted this